Bylaws of the Fudan University Alumni Association of Northern California (FDAANC)
March 16, 2011
1. Fudan University Alumni Association of Northern California (FDAANC) is an independent, non-profit organization, and the home of alumni who studied or worked at Fudan University Shanghai, China, including those who studied and worked at former Shanghai No.1 Medical Institute, and currently resides in Northern California, U.S.A., and throughout the world. FDAANC shall not engage in any political activities.
2. Members of the FDAANC shall meet the following qualification:
- Have studied or worked at Fudan University, Shanghai, China
- Reside in northern California currently
3. The missions of the FDAANC are:
- Promote the interests of Fudan University in Shanghai, China
- Provide a community for Fudan University alumni, their family and friends in Northern California to connect with each other and grow personally and professionally
4. FDAANC is managed by a Board of Directors. Members will elect the Board of Directors online, which will be hosted and monitored by all current Board Members. The Board of Directors shall consist of at least eight (8) members, but no more than fifteen (15) members. Each Board Member shall serve a term of two (2) years and can serve for more than one term.
5. Board Election Procedure
5.1 The timeline of the election will be proposed by the current President and approved by the Board of Directors.
Members of the association can nominate him or herself or another member who voluntarily submits their basic information to be a Director of the Board, and President as long as the person meets the following criteria:
- Be physically present in the Northern California area for at least 50% of the time in a single year
- Participate in and be a volunteer at least 50% of the events in a single year
Basic information of each nominated candidate includes his/her graduation year from Fudan University, major, and reasons he or she wants to be a Director of the Board and/or become the President of the Association.
5.3 Voting by Members
After the nomination period ends, if the number of nominated candidates is less than 8, the nomination period shall be extended to attract more candidates, and/or the current Board members and current candidates shall recommend others for the Board.
If the number of candidates standing for election to the Board is equal or less than 15, and equal or more than 8, no voting will be required. All candidates will become the Board of Directors by the time the voting period ends.
If the number of candidates standing for election to the Board is greater than 15, a Board election shall be carried out by way of web-based electronic voting by all FDAANC members.
Information of candidates will be posted on FDAANC’s website or via email.
Each member of FDAANC is entitled to a number of votes which is no more than the number of 15. No member can cast more than one (1) vote in favor of each candidate.
The first 15 candidates receiving the greatest number of votes in his favor will be declared to be elected to the Board. In case of an equality of votes, the election shall be decided by way of lot.
After voting period ends, results will be published to all FDAANC members on FDAANC’s website or via email.
6. The Board of directors shall evaluate the qualifications of the Board of Directors annually, around the time of a Board Meeting at the beginning of each year. If a director fails to meet the qualification above, he or she will no longer be a director on the Board for the following year.
7. The responsibilities of the Board are:
- Open and maintain an association website on the internet
- Edit and maintain a membership directory
- Plan and organize association activities. The Board shall at least organize one social activity annually
- Coordinate communication with other Fudan alumni around the world
8. President, VP, Treasurer
The Annual General Meeting of the Board is held around April 1st of each year, when Board members elect the next President every other year. The result is announced the same day. The President takes office on the same day and shall start to organize the executive team and assign tasks to the Director of the Board.
The President’s term is two years and one can serve no more than two consecutive terms. The President shall coordinate, supervise and operate the business on behalf of the Board of Directors.
9. The President shall appoint one Secretary, one Vice President and one Treasurer. The Secretary is responsible for forming an Election Committee for the next election. The Election Committee is responsible for collecting brief bio from all nominated Director of the Board and nominated President. All fundraising income or donations shall provide the operation budget of the association. The Board of Directors shall have the authority over the budget. The Board shall provide regular financial statement to members.
10. The following activity can not be implemented without approval of more than 2/3 of the Board members:
- any activity that relates to political group or government institution;
- determine an activity is related to political group or government institution; or
- amend these bylaws.